Monday, August 4, 2008

Bangkok: Rants & Raves

Random cop in Thailand advertising McDonalds.

Most of you will know that Bangkok as the capital of Thailand. For Thai people, it's Krung Thep. However, if you want the full name of Bangkok, it's Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit. Yes, there's even a song (which I had to learn when I was 12) to sing the entire Thai name of Bangkok. Did I ever learn it? No. What's it's relevance to this post? Well, here goes.

Bangkok is my home, I know that for sure. I grew up here, and it was a wonderful 18 years of my life. But before I moved away for college, Bangkok was all I knew.

But after two years of living away from Bangkok, I've put my opinions into perspective.

Raves:
  • Shopping is cheap as hell
  • It's always Summer in Bangkok (well, the rest of Thailand too)
  • People are very friendly here
  • Dining is amazing here
  • Nightlife is a lot of fun
  • You will be able to find food at 4 AM no problem
Rants:
  • Random strangers will tell you you're fat with a straight face (been a victim of that many, many times)
  • You won't find shoes that find over size US 8 unless you're really lucky
  • Large clothing sizes are a rarity
  • Can't travel anywhere without traffic
Why did I have the sudden urge to place a review on Bangkok? It's because I'm not stick thin and my feet are relatively large and it just seems like shopping here isn't so great as I once thought it was. I guess I was used to living in LA and being accustomed to stores having my size and finding shoes easily. But then at the same token there are many wonderful things about Bangkok. Such as the food, weather, people and of course being at home, with my family and loving the familiarity of things.

Totally random off topic, just checking out Oh No They Didn't blog and they posted pics of Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt's new babies... but all I could see was how cutie Shiloh is:

Gosh, Shiloh is just too cute. I bet she must be so spoilt. I mean, how do you say no to a face like that?

Kim Kardashian's make up at the Teen Choice Awards 2008 was perfect, she even dressed very demurely (well, in comparison to her usual form fitting outfits) and she looked beautiful:


Recent Outfit:
  • Dad's Shirt
  • AA Leggings
  • TopShop sandals
  • Landmee Clutch
Miss you :(

5 comments:

Pamela Tan said...

hi sarah!! :) ilove bangkok! :) i stayed in phuket and phi phi and krabi for 2 weeks.. it was divine.. *sigh* cant stop singing "the beach" soundtrack :)

and i can totally agree with the shoe thing! its also the same here in phils. and china! and i always feel bad because my friends always get these cheap but really really chic ones at 1/10 the price of mine (which i always buy on boutiques! *sigh*) size 39 isnt fun.. sometimes i even buy 38 and never wear them (obviously SMALL) just for the sake of buying new shoes ~hiks.

but i love shopping clothes there! :) but i heard vietnam's the new thing.. we must check! :)

have a nice day!:)

Richel said...

i love that picture of shiloh! she's so cute!

Unknown said...

yeah i have a bfriend :) just look my older post you can see him, i have posted pics of him in my blog :)i am so happy and in love!!!

Ariella said...

I think you can do a raves and rants list just about every city in the world, and there will always be something to critize. However, Bangkok does sound like a very nice city. I would like to go to Thailand sometime, but for some reason I'm a little scared of having someone plant drugs on me and thus being sentenced to 30 years in prison or something. I suppose that's very rare, but I saw this movie once where that happened, and it quite scared me :/

jenna said...

I can´t believe ANYONE can tell you that you are fat, because they are blind! you are so gorgeus and uou have that glow in your face that very rare people have *hugs*
anyway, LOVE that plaid shirt outfit, you look so great !!!