Monday, June 30, 2008

Shop Lock and Drop It

Me and the boyfriend messing about the in the sweltering heat of Bangkok

So I've been back in Bangkok for almost a week now, and the unfamiliar setting has now become quite... familiar. At first being home felt very uncomfortable; I was 'California Dreaming' as the Beach Boys said. I missed Los Angeles a lot. I missed the freedom that I had there; doing whatever I wanted, leaving my apartment at midnight for a walk, taking the metro to my friend's place, whatever. But now Bangkok seems wonderful again. The friendly people, the wonderful food, not to mention the awesome shopping that I had completely forgotten about.

Speaking of shopping, I was doing my rounds in the Siam area (for those of you not familiar with Bangkok, well, it's the shopping Mecca) and I came across this small stall. And it was like the heavens parted; a vintage stall. I have been a long time fan of vintage clothes and accessories but I have never been able to find anything to my liking. But this small little stall, probably a 2 x 4 metre stall had the best selection of vintage dresses I have ever encountered. I think I probably lodged myself in that small stall for about an hour trying on a variety of beautiful dresses. I bought two, and I went home. But there was that one red chiffon dress with built in elastic belt and long ruffled sleeves and a beautiful peter pan collar... and did I mention the delicate flower print pattern? I went back the next day hoping to see it there but, someone had taken it. But I settled for an equally as beautiful dress (in the exact same style) but with a different, bolder pattern. I've come to the conclusion Bangkok is definitely a fashion city. Did I mention how much they were selling the dresses for? Three for a mere 500 baht (about US $8).

I've also rediscovered the just plain awesome brand called 'Kloset'. This season they've paired geometric prints on chiffon and empire waist dresses and blouses and gold and bronze whimsical jewelry; a necklace I tried on was a seashell locket, opening to reveal a pearl, too cute! Alas, it was way out of my budget range and my boyfriend had to quickly pry my hands off this store before I did some serious damage on the CC. Although of course now I'm pining for this one high waisted skirt. *Sigh* But HUGE news for the Bangkok... a TOPSHOP has FINALLY OPENED! And it even has some Kate Moss TopShop items! But I was also kind of disappointed, in all honestly I would rather shop in the Thai boutiques than in TopShop, and I'm kind of surprised at myself for saying that!


What I'm wearing:


I just bought this lovely coat which is so adorable! The fabric is very thin and airy, pretty much in love at this point. I also bought a vintage Chanel purse which I am absolutely in love with!!! That's also going to be on heavy rotation this Summer. I'll post better pictures soon!

I can't wait to wear my new vintage (oxymoron?) dresses!

Ahh, I love Bangkok all over again.

P.S. Thanks everyone for the lovely, lovely comments. I will return them ALL.

14 comments:

Pamela Tan said...

OMG!!! sarah! i want to go there again! lets keep in touch okay? :) but it might not be too soon.. but i will go back! definitely! :):)

thats one of the reasons why i resist buying "trendy" stuffs in boutiques, etc. bec. i cud get the same (well almost) style in bangkok for a bargain! and im always left bankrupt on the 5th day there ~hahaha!

glad u felt "at home" again :)

Egle Z. said...

Thanks for the sweet comment! It looks like you're enjoying there! My friend has been to Bangkok and she loved it!

FASHION CHALET said...

Oh gosh, how I love your coat and the bag. Lovely. Thanks for your comment, dear. So sweet of you!! :)

Ida said...

Nice coat! And it is so hot here, too. Terrible.

Unknown said...

when they are gonna open topshop here.. i am crying bloody tears..

Ariella said...

I never imagined Bangkok to be such a great place for shopping, but maybe now I should think that it is now :)

I can't wait to see pictures of your new vintage dresses!

Richel said...

THAT SEEMS GREAT.
My friend went to Bangkok last year and couldn't leave because it was just wonderful.

jenna said...

you two look gorgeus together!!!
im jelous from the topshop opening. really i am. but more jelous from the finds i could do when visiting bangok. i was actually ment to have trip there but it was cancelled because unfortunat reasons...but my granmom wants to see that place once in her life, so she is planning the trip mabey she´ll take me with her?!?!

anyway, sarah, you are absolutely gorgeus, i would love to meet you one day *hugs*

Belowen said...

Oh wow, those dresses sound beautiful!! Can't wait to see you wearing them!

heartu,kisses said...

lucky! hope you are having fun!

ADOREDVINTAGE said...

Ooo can't wait to see the vintage dresses!

Orgo Cosmetics said...

WOw, looooove that coat!! I'm such a sucker for vintage, too! Hope you have funnnnn!!! :)

Unknown said...

how have you been???? please blog soon???

Daphné said...

OMG that Chanel bag i sabsolutely stunning!Love it!